We advise owners of closely held and family owned businesses. We work with business owners and their families in forming business entities (including corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies (LLCs)) and preparing buy-sell and shareholders’ agreements. We guide clients in business succession planning, including gifting, sales of stock, and the management of business entities. Our counsel focuses on maximizing the business’s success, minimizing taxes, and protecting assets.
Recent engagements include:
- Guiding a family business owner in gifting stock to children.
- Representing an entrepreneur involved in a startup in creating an Irrevocable Trust and gifting shares of the startup.
- Structuring a tax-deferred corporate reorganization for owners of a closely held corporation to separate the corporation into two separate corporations.
- Designing a shareholders’ agreement for a family owned corporation to ensure the business will remain family owned.
- Preparing a complex estate plan for a wealthy couple, including succession planning for a family owned limited liability company owning real estate.